Sunday, January 3, 2016

Savory Sunday #2

For a couple of weeks now I've been receiving shipments from Hello Fresh. Every once in a while I need some new inspiration for cooking dinner, whether it be a new cookbook, a new diet challenge, or in this case, a delivery service. I opted to get the vegetarian meals as I often get tired of meat and lean more toward plant-based eating. Also, it was the cheaper option.


One of the meals I made this week was Stovetop Shells and Cheddar with Crispy Breadcrumbs and Roasted Carrots. This dish was really very easy to make. The shells cooked right in the sauce and everything really melted together when stirring in the shredded cheddar cheese. The homestyle twist came when topping it with some seasoned panko and giving it a quick broil. The side dish was roasted carrots which tasted just like sweet potato fries. 


Another night we had Creamy Pear and Turnip Soup with Radish, Pepitas, and Toasted Baguette. When I opened the box for this one I was a bit wary as there was just one teeny, tiny turnip. After peeling and chopping it, and cooking the turnip right along with the pear, I saw that not much would be needed to help flavor the soup. This recipe was a bit more labor intensive than some of the others since there was the preparing, cooking and then blending, but it was well worth the effort. I thoroughly enjoyed the creamy soup combined with the crunchy texture of the radishes and pumpkin seeds. 



Tonights dinner was also a bit ambitious: Winter Risotto with Kale, Fennel Seed and Parmesan. I have never made risotto. In fact, I've always been a bit scared to after watching Hell's Kitchen and no competitor could ever live up to Chef Ramsay's expectations when making risotto. I half expected him to barge into my kitchen and take over, but alas, I understand his frustrations a bit more now: you can't rush risotto! And, when it's done right it's absolutely delicious!

Sunday Summary:

Given the fact that it was New Year's Resolution time and that I was on Winter Break, I really intended to get in more exercise. However, I am L.A.Z.Y. and I like my naps. I did manage to get the dust out of the exercise room and finished the week with two 30-minute elliptical sessions, one 21 Day Fix video workout, one yoga class and logging 10.63 running miles. 

This week's accomplishments:

1. I used the fitbit for a whole week and earned 5 badges. 
2. Cleaned off my home desk
3. Purchased the necessities to get some organizing done around the house

No comments:

Post a Comment