Monday, January 4, 2016

Monday Motivation

I had every intention of getting up at 5:45 and getting a workout in before work. I guess I just need to face the fact that I am NOT a morning person. Forget the snooze button, even before the alarm sounded I changed the wakeup time thus eliminating any chance I would have of squeezing out the time to exercise. I do like to sip on my coffee and scroll through Facebook before getting ready for the day. Is that so wrong?

Instead, I had an afternoon snack when I got home and immediately changed into my workout clothes. I had gotten the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred as a gift (at my request) LAST Christmas and until today it had not yet been opened. I read a few blogs about the workout and was impressed by some of the results that were reported. I did heed their caution and took it slowly for my first time through.

Can I just say that I have absolutely no upper body strength. I run, but that's it. My legs can go and go and go (while running, of course, not performing squats and lunges). I've been called Katharine Hepburn one more than one occasion due to the tremors I experience almost immediately when lifting any size weights. 

I think I did pretty well with the video workout. First, I liked the fact that in total it was 22 minutes long. There was a two minute warmup followed by three rounds of exercises. Each round consisted of three minutes of strength exercises, two minutes of cardio and one minute of abs. I took the modifications for most of the exercises so that I would not only be able to walk and move tomorrow, but so that I would be inclined to replay the video tomorrow.

From what I read, it is suggested that each of the three levels be completed for ten days, hence the 30 day shred. Hopefully, I will be able to keep this up as a cross-training activity while I continue to train for half marathons. It is quite obvious that I need to incorporate more strength training to my routine.

I was also motivated today by participating in a fitbit challenge, so while I was in the midst of cooking dinner I took a 20 minute break and hopped on the elliptical, rocking out to some 80's tunes.


Dinner tonight was roasted acorn squash with a coconut curry sauce served with jasmine fried rice. This recipe was really tasty and not that difficult to make. 

All in all, not bad for a Monday. Now, I'm wondering if I can get in 500 more steps to meet my fitbit goal before bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment