Tuesday, March 25, 2014

State #7 - Jaffrey, NH

We were headed up north, or home to us, for a vacation visiting with family so I was looking to see if I could incorporate a race in New England to add to my medal collection. The kids whined and asked if we were ever going to be able to go on vacation without me running again! Oh, eventually...was my response.


In trying to make it as convenient for everyone as possible I chose a small race, just over the border in Jaffrey, NH. We stayed at a charming bed and breakfast, The Birchwood Inn, in Temple. This quaint town was your typical old New England style village with a main street, a few stores, and a diner where we had a nice lunch and enjoyed listening to some of the locals. We had a traditional English dinner at The London Tavern, part of the bed and breakfast. And, since there was a monsoon outside that evening, we retired early to our small suite. The four of us snuggled up to watch the tiny television. There were four in the bed...

On the morning of August 11, 2012, we took the short drive over to Jaffrey, where I took part in the Monadnock Half Marathon. After looking up the race and remembering the description words "picturesque" and "rolling hills", I trained by running bridge repeats throughout the summer in order to be prepared. I had fooled myself!

The race started out nicely at the Jaffrey Bible Church, winding along some main roads that were coned off for about 300 of us runners.Then we crossed the street and went onto a lovely hard-packed dirt trail. I hadn't really known I was going to be running "off-road" but it was so pretty and peaceful that I could have run that section all day. Unfortunately, it lasted only a few miles, and that was when my troubles began.

I do believe the term "rolling hills" could have different connotations depending upon where you live. For this Florida girl, they were not rolling hills, but steep rutty mountain roads, again unpaved. I could lean just a bit forward and use my hands to help me get up the nearly perpendicular trail, which I think I may have done once or twice.

It was just about at this time when I realized I needed a restroom. There was, however, none to be found. Not usually one to have bathroom issues during the race I convinced myself to just hang on until the next porta-potty station. Up over the mountain I went, and thought I might make up some time on the downside. This again was mind-deceiving. It was actually too steep for me to run down! Not wanting to fall and break a leg, combined with the increasing need to find the bathroom, this was a slow race indeed.
Notice the porta-potties nicely placed at the end of the race (not enough along the course). This was a tough half marathon, but one that I am proud to say I finished. Overall, there was a nice home-town feel. The volunteers were great, especially clanging those cow bells, encouraging everyone to cross the finish line.



No comments:

Post a Comment