Sunday, March 2, 2014

State #4 - Cocoa, FL

This was my race of Yes! and No!

It was difficult to choose just the right race in the state where I live. In the end, I opted to register for the Space Coast Half Marathon. I had always coveted the astronaut medal - after all, it is all about the bling! As race day approached the medal spec was released and alas, it was not the traditional astronaut. The first "No!". It was, however, the 40th anniversary of the race, so there was a splendid space shuttle medal.



This was a different kind of race for me. Although I would not be traveling far, I was racing for a cause. I had been diligently working with a great team of local women to bring the Girls on the Run program to our community. I had designated this race as a charity race, running with the Sole Mates program, to help finance the start up of our chapter. Prior to this, we had gone through a year-long application process, both written and interviews, as well as attending a 3-day training in North Carolina, and had at long last received our final approval. I am happy to report that with the generous support of friends and family I was able to raise several thousand dollars and we began our very first session that January. A resounding "Yes!".

Back to the race: It was a very scenic course along the water that I had run before. The race started with a space shuttle countdown and lift-off on a Jumbotron. Volunteers throughout the race and especially the water stops take the space theme very seriously, creating an out of this world experience for runners. Fun and energy during a long, hard run is a definite "Yes!".

About halfway into the race, I started having pain. The ultimate race day "No!". Obviously, I had been training hard as this was my fourth race in as many months. I had been consistent and careful not to overdo it, but my left foot really bothered me. I slowed down, often to a walk, and managed to finish, only wanting to get my sneakers off as soon as possible. That is, of course, after receiving the medal and beach towel, which when added to the many samples, running hat, and tech shirt received at the expo, have to receive another "Yes!" for great swag!

No comments:

Post a Comment