Sunday, March 2, 2014

Race #1 - Providence, RI

I decided when I set this goal that my first race would be in my home state of Rhode Island and signed up for the inaugural Rock n Roll Providence half marathon. It was a soggy day to say the least. I gave my family members every opportunity to back out from being spectators yet they still came out to support me. We were all tired as the days prior were spent visiting Provincetown and Fenway Park. In the wee hours of the morning, I dressed in a garbage bag and waited at the start line. My troops were able to wait in the Providence Place Mall, enjoy some hot coffee, and stay dry. The start was finally announced and we were unleashed into the wild weather. It was rather unfortunate that most of the bands scheduled to play along the course were unable to do so due to the torrential rains. And I do mean torrential; it was streaming down the streets! (I looked up the statistics the next day and discovered that Providence received 2.25” of rain on race day!) Sugar Ray, however, did not let the damp weather prevent him for performing. He rocked the stage and I was so grateful to find my family dancing along once I pushed my wet self across the finish line. It was a great feeling of accomplishment to have earned the first medal in what I’m sure will become my own epic adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment