Monday, August 10, 2015

Fresh Start

I was very excited to be able to go to running school on Saturday. Not only did I learn an amazing amount from Jeff Galloway, but I was able to attend with my two great running partners. 

I have been using the Run-Walk-Run method for quite some time now, but without a lot of the background knowledge that Galloway shared with us during our three hour session. I share a lot of his same philosophy. How can you not when he believes in no pain, no puking and no dying

As I sat in class, I felt he was talking to me. Really, he kind of was, since there were only about a dozen other people there. He clearly explained his training plans and drills and we were all given plenty of opportunity to ask questions. I came away very inspired!!
  
                             


The next day, I spent a great deal of time re-reading my notes and his book. From there, I revised my thinking for training for the fall races I have on my schedule and crafted a new plan for myself. I sent it off to Jeff Galloway himself, and received some great feedback. With his tweaking, I know I will be very prepared for my fall race schedule.

So, today was a major shift in mindset. Today is my Fresh Start. I am over the hump of yet another birthday. I succumbed to the age thing and even gave in and "highlighted" my hair so that I wouldn't see those stray strands of sparkle when I look in the mirror. Summer vacation is nearly over and it will soon be time to get back into a regular routine. 

Moreover, I have decided to meet myself. When we meet someone new, we accept them as they are, not try to make them into something they are not. So, I will start my new training plan this week and will accept myself right where I am. Right Here, Right Now. I have never really trained hard for races, I just put in the time and mileage and whatever happens happens. No speed training or drills for me. Yet, without training I keep expecting to PR. My last PR was five years ago. Another may come, but obviously it won't come if I don't work for it. I will do my first Magic Mile tomorrow and select a reasonable amount that I expect to improve and then train for that time. If I am consistent, then I will get there, probably not this fall, but eventually. 

                     
   

As I was approaching the aforementioned birthday, I half-jokingly let my family know that this was the year of me. I was going to be selfish this year. So, as I begin my Fresh Start, I will become a bit self-centered. I will prioritize my training. I will also do the training at the speeds and intervals that are best for me and not follow along with others as I have always done. As Jeff Galloway said, "Running with the fast crowds can get you into some trouble." It'll be good for me to focus on me. In fact, it may actually make running enjoyable again.

So I started a bit today with some focus on the diet. Yes, I still need to lose a few pounds. Clean eating will obviously help my body and help me train better. Dinner was a great recipe from Bob Harper's Skinny Meals Cookbook, Salmon with Creamy Dill Sauce.

                         

Now, if only the 15 week training plan would result in a 15 pound weight loss, everything would be wonderful, but I suppose I'll have to work for that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment